As businesses downsize, many established employees find themselves without their former employer’s benefits. They need to purchase their own health coverage. Hanneken Insurance Agency Inc. of Little Falls, MN wants you to know how to find affordable coverage at 50 and older.
One of the reasons it becomes tougher is that older people are more likely to have developed chronic diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Some insurers will not offer a policy that covers pre-existing conditions. Others will cover it once the insured has gone a specified period without any problems. Some will cover long-term pre-existing conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure.
Not only will it become harder to find coverage; it gets more expensive. You can reduce the costs by following these tips:
- Avoid the options and extras. Select only the coverage you really need.
- Obtain private coverage for major illnesses only.
- Choose a plan with a waiting period before treatment ends. The common periods are four-week or six-week options.
- Choose a policy that only offers treatment at a few hospitals.
- Remain in good shape. A healthy BMI can sometimes get you a discount.
The plans you are accustomed to from your workplace offer so many options because they serve a large group of diverse people. Your employer needs a plan that can accommodate every employee. When you choose a private health plan, you get to pick just what you need and tailor it to yourself. That can save you money.
Hanneken Insurance Agency Inc. of Little Falls, MN can help you obtain the health coverage you need. Call or visit us to learn about the health insurance plans we can offer you.