When to Contact Your Insurance Agent

You understand you have to maintain homeowners insurance, but if you’re like many people you don’t want to use it out of fear your premium may go up. The short answer as to when you should contact your insurance agent is to say, “Whenever you have a home repair,” because it won’t be held against you to ask but rather the agent will give you practical advice as to whether you should file a formal claim. Keep in mind, the most basic insurance policy as required by your lender to assure the legitimacy of their investment is only intended for disaster damage you wouldn’t normally be prepared to pay for out of pocket, while more elaborate plans may be comprehensive and take care of common repairs or even routine maintenance jobs.

Typical Winter Storm Damage in MN

A common winter problem in Minnesota is for a gutter to freeze, causing a dam that prevents water from properly draining from your gutter system. In and of itself, the ice dam isn’t a big problem and has a simple solution but can cause roof leaks and water damage if not dealt with immediately.

Routine Maintenance versus Specific Repairs

Although this depends on the exact policy you decide to purchase, insurance usually covers specific repairs rather than routine maintenance. To further the example of the ice dam, removing the dam may be considered routine maintenance while water damage you were unable to prevent would be a specific repair.

It can’t be emphasized enough to always check with your agent when conducting work on your home. You may be surprised at what is covered, or what you may be able to apply toward your deductible, You’ll never know if you don’t ask. Contact Hanneken Insurance Agency, Inc. in Little Falls, Brainerd, Pierz or Pine River to learn more.