Am I Liable For Property Damage In My Accident?

Throughout Minnesota, there are a number of attractions. It’s the home of the Mall of America, many different national parks and forests, and more. The state is known for a lot of snow during the winter months as well as mild summers.

When you’re driving around, you need to make sure your auto insurance provides plenty of protection. If you are involved in an accident, you could be liable for everything, and that includes property damage.

The property damage that you encounter depends on the accident. It can include:

– Damage to the other car

– Damage to a home or business

– Damage to city fixtures such as light poles and bridges

– Signage

There is no way to estimate how much damage you are going to do to property before an accident. Some accidents only cause a few hundred dollars of damage while others can cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage.

You will be held liable for the property you damage in Minnesota and that’s why it’s important to have auto insurance. The minimum state requirement holds that property damage is part of the liability insurance. The number can be higher than the state minimum and this can offer more protection for you financially.

If you are involved in an accident, you want auto insurance to cover it all. If the damages are higher than what you have on your policy, you would be financially responsible for the rest.

Adding tens of thousands of dollars of coverage on property damage liability insurance is not very expensive. You may be surprised by how affordable your policy can still be.

Call one of our agents today where we can get quotes for higher levels of coverage so you are always protected against property damage.

Precautionary Steps to Take If Your Child Wants to Take Your Vehicle Tailgating

Whether it’s professional sports – Minnesota Vikings, Timberwolves, Twins and Wild – or college sports – Minnesota Golden Gophers, tailgating is a common past-time that students, young adults and even adults enjoy pre- and post-game. Tailgating is even popular with other sporting events, such as soccer, NASCAR and lacrosse. Regardless of the sport, you need to make sure that when your child takes out your brand new lifted 4WD truck to a tailgating party that it is safe. Here’s what you need to do.

  1. First things first, you need to ensure that your child has a valid driver’s license and is listed as a driver on your Minnesota insurance policy. This is similar to ensuring your spouse is added to your policy after you are married; otherwise, an insurance claim may be rejected.

  2. You also need to ensure your vehicle has liability coverage so that your child’s friends (who will most definitely be with them) are covered in the event of an accident.

  3. Don’t forget to check out your deductibles, as you never know when a tailgating accident may occur. After all, there are some tight spaces in the parking lots where these events are held. Plus, there are a lot of people there, so it is more likely for a minor accident to occur.

  4. You also want to check to ensure that your personal property, such as your cooler, grill and other outdoor equipment that your child will be dragging along with him, is indeed covered under your homeowners insurance policy. You never know when something might get stolen and you need to replace it.

Sporting events can be a lot of fun, especially for college students. However, make sure you take the time to take to them about being safe and give one of our independent car insurance agents a call to discuss your policy coverage and limits. An agent will be more than happy to ensure that your child and your truck are both adequately covered under your policy.