Standard home insurance policies typically have limits for the coverage of expensive items in a home. Homeowners that have valuable items such as family heirlooms, jewelry, artwork, expensive electronics, home theater systems and more, benefit from getting extended coverage to protect them. Talk with your agent at Hanneken Insurance Agency Inc. serving Little Falls, MN and the surrounding area to better understand any limits under your existing home insurance or new insurance that you are considering.
Here are some tips about what to do to make sure valuable items have adequate protection and insurance coverage under a home insurance policy and/or extended coverage:
- Make a Home Inventory: A home inventory is a list of all the valuable items in the home with any information that is available about the purchase price or replacement costs. Take photos of the items and record a video walkthrough of the home showing the placement of the valuable items in the home.
- Appraisals: Have valuable items appraised by a qualified appraiser. Keep this information about the appraisal in a fireproof safe or off-site to avoid losing the information when it is most needed.
- Install a Home Security System: Home security systems with video monitoring of the premises are a good deterrent to help prevent home burglaries.
- Safeguard Valuables: Along with a home security system, having a home safe makes it more difficult for burglars to steal smaller personal items such as jewelry.
- Update Coverage When Necessary: When things change and valuable personal items are acquired or sold, update insurance coverage appropriately. Often overlooked, are valuable items that are received from an estate as part of an inheritance.
The easiest way to make sure insurance coverage is adequate is to work with your agent at Hanneken Insurance Agency Inc. in Little Falls, MN. Make an appointment to go over the coverage offered by an existing home insurance policy and to add or update extra coverage for valuable personal items as needed.